Wednesday, April 17, 2019

9# - Classmate Blog Critique

For this classmate blog critique I wanted to take a different approach, instead of focusing on just one person I would discuss my three favorite blogs and in my opinion their best piece. When discussing the blogs I think it is important to say what about it so good whether it be the writing, aesthetics, personality, or analysis. Mainly because I want to make sure that I am giving out compliments and criticism at the same time so the person who I am talking about might think my opinions. So lets talk about the blogs:

1. Suzanne Lauoue 

The first thing that I really appreciate about Suzanne blog is that she writes in clean and understandable way that makes any of her posts a breeze to read through. This really shows in her article about soap opera critic Carolyn Hinsey, where from the writing it is clear that she knows a lot about the this person and about soap operas. Not just because Suzanne explicitly mentions that she has been watching these shows for a long, but because she talks about things most people wouldn't even mention like production design and the difficulties these shows have in introducing whole new characters. She also shows her personal opinion a lot especially in the blog post about the Chevy Chase and Richard Dreyfuss vehicle "The Last Laugh", when she makes the point that the film is really marketed to people closer to her age, however I have parents closer to her and they would most likely have hated this movie. That is her opinion and I am glad to hear it but, this film was more than likely marketed to people who are much older. The only real criticism I have is with aesthetics, I really do not like the background that she chose for the blog. The hummingbirds going to bushes and then as we scroll down it goes from a peach color to like a darker pink that just stretches on forever. This is not a large criticism but, I have just never liked this preset background before.

2. Desmion Owens 

The back for his blog says everything you need to know about it that this is Desmion Owens's blog and that you are going acknowledge and respect that. Personality is the most important factor when it comes to his blog, not to say that their is anything wrong with any other part of his blog. The writing is always good and the sourcing providing background to the piece is always very good. But, when you are reading his blog it is clear that we are looking at his personal interests and what those mean to him like in his most recent post talking about The Source a magazine covering hip-hop music, hip-hop culture, and culture broadly. We get to know that he actually has some connection to this magazine as it was a window to a world that he was so interested in that he actually tried to participate in it. So, when he brings up the problems that The Source has with how much does its rating system matter in the era when stars are made off of hype and social media. We see that this world and the quality of the work within it actually matters to him. I also think that this problem that he sees at The Source is really a problem that all media criticism is facing because almost everything is available online or free people dont really care as much about quality.

3. Justice Seymour 

Right off the bat I have to say the name of the blog Justice Seymour Started A Blog is exactly what a blog with an all black background should have as it's title. I like that, it shows that the blog is a repository for the writing and not an elaborate background piece with writing on it. The writing itself from Justice is and has remained at the same level of all of his stuff and that is to say that when I read it, it is in his voice. That to me shows how much his writing is connected to him and it also makes it easier to read as it comes off a lot more casual. I really liked when he dunked on Bill Maher for making fun of people who like Superhero movies, not just because it showed how Bill Maher is really behind the time when it comes to understanding current day pop culture. But mainly because I really have never been a fan of Bill Maher as he came across as a prick to me. Although I will say that I am sick to death of Superhero movies and I think personally that they need to take a break for some time. But I am not in charge of Disney who owns just about everything these days and seems as if they will run all of the properties into the ground as long as people are willing to pay for it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

10# - Wild Card

Jing Wu Wolf Warrior is a 2015 action film directed and staring Jing Wu as a Chinese special forces soldier who like all good ac...